Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors getting hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfline

In a high power motor control project I'm working on, certain capacitors are getting fairly hot, around 75 degrees Celcius and increasing.

Is heat-sinking capacitors a common procedure? Does parallelizing them evenly distribute the load? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Yes, paralleling capacitors is often used to help radiate heat, and using a heat sink certainly couldn't hurt.

The ESR of the capacitor is very important is controlling the heat generated. More capacitors in parallel can help you reduce the ESR while at the same time increasing the surface area. If this is a high speed switching type system, consider reducing the ripple current (often a higher inductance can help). Higher inductance does bring its own problems, so it's a trade off.

In a high power motor control project I'm working on, certain capacitors are getting fairly hot, around 75 degrees Celcius and increasing.

Is heat-sinking capacitors a common procedure? Does parallelizing them evenly distribute the load? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

In my 46 years in this field, I cannot recall ever seeing capacitors on a heat sink. Not to say I've seen everything under the sun, but a capacitor is not supposed to conduct electrons from one plate to another, save minute leakage current. Paralleling capacitors to distribute I^2R losses is also in the same category; covering a design fault.

What type of capacitors are you using? Polarized or non-polarized electrolytics? Is the applied voltage AC or DC? Do you have a schematic of the circuit having the issue? Could you be using motor start caps for the wrong application? Many questions more, but it would help greatly if you supplied some specific information about the design and the components in question.

Care to mention the capacitor values, types, voltage, current and frequency?

Hi,

Just a quick note...

It helps to review the ripple current rating of the capacitor in question and not to exceed that rating. Connecting caps in parallel is a common technique as a means to this end but the current should not be expected to divide perfectly between caps, especially with age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back