Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors for crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan East

I've tried several different crystals (from 7 to 17 MHz) without the two capacitors to ground, and they all seem to work fine (although I don't have a frequency counter to check the accuracy). What is the purpose of the capacitors, and is it acceptable to omit them?

Thanks.

Dan East

Dan East said:
I've tried several different crystals (from 7 to 17 MHz) without the two capacitors to ground, and they all seem to work fine (although I don't have a frequency counter to check the accuracy). What is the purpose of the capacitors, and is it acceptable to omit them?

The oscillator design requires the capacitors, you may be lucky and have sufficient stray capacitance for it to work - but it seems far more sensible to include the capacitors and keep everything within their specifications.

Personally I wouldn't omit them, you are reducing the potential reliability of the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back