Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

hi hello,

i'm a non electronic student

i have bought a piccallw programmer and a voltage dc step up converter

i wanted to build it up but i don;t know how to connect the capacitor..??

which of the 2 leads is the plus..??/

TKS

Welcome TKS

It all depends on what kind of capacitor that you are using. Do you know what kind of capacitor that you are using? (For instance, Ceramic disc, electrolytic, polyester, Tantalum etc.)

check out this link to see which capacitor that you are using.
**broken link removed**

to my knowledge, the only capacitors that you need to make sure that you have the correct polarity are ELECTROLYTIC and TANTALUM capacitors. The electrolytics have a white color band running down one side of the capacitor. This band will tell you that the lead closest to that band is the NEGATIVE lead.

Tantalum capacitors have a "+" marked closest to the POSITIVE lead of the capacitor.

All of the other types of capacitors don't matter which lead is postitive or which is negative, just solder it in.

When it is important, the capacitor will have a marking which explains which lead is postive or negative. This will be your guide.

to answer your questio,
the long leg is positive short leg negative.
this is true for leds aswell,

in schmateic if its just 2 lines parallel then a ceramic will do. both legs the same.

if their is a plus sign beside one of the lines the a electrolaytic is needed.
same if one of the lines is curved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back