Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumieus

Please view the attachment.
Both capacitor is the same?
They both can charge and discharge?
The different is the one with + sign is electrolytic and the other is ceramic but they both react the same in DC or AC?

and electrolytic must not be connected wrongly or the capacitor will explode..

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
The one on the right is a polarised capacitor and requires a DC bias equal to the peak voltage of the waveform if it's to be used for AC.

The one on the left doesn't require a DC bias for AC.

Non-polarized electrolytic capacitors are made and sold.
The lowest value electrolytic capacitor I have ever seen is 0.47uF. 16nF is 29 times less.

16nF is also not a standard capacitor value, the nearest prefered value is 15nF.

They make electrolytics down to 1nF actually, you just have to get a tantalum electrolytic.

Yeah yeah, you can punch me in the arm.

the other is ceramic but they both react the same in DC or AC?

Ceramics still act like capacitors at higher freqs. than aluminum electrolytics.

Just googled it (I know, should have done it before posting). Well, what do ya know, there are tantalum electrolytics, but you know what I was referring to.;)

I wonder what is the electrolyte in a tantalum capacitor? Orange juice? Grape juice? Coca-cola? Pepsi? Beer? A martini?

Ok. So both capacitor act the same in Dc, they hold charge, and discharge..
The reason to use a ceramic or electrolytic is because their value?
Electrolytic value is 1uF ++
Ceramic value is below 1uF?

Am I right?

Here are a couple of tutorials on capacitors that you might find helpful:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Perhaps more than you ever wanted to know...but the explanations of the different types of capacitors should answer you questions.

Ken

Ok. So both capacitor act the same in Dc, they hold charge, and discharge..
The reason to use a ceramic or electrolytic is because their value?
Electrolytic value is 1uF ++
Ceramic value is below 1uF?

Am I right?

As a general rule, yes. But they do make electrolytics less than 1uF, although not that common.

High capacity needed? Electrolytics.
Wide bandwidth needed? Ceramic.
Both needed? Maybe tantalums, maybe out-of-luck.

In any case, avoid capacitors made with unobtainium.
:p

Last edited:
For both high frequency and capacity an electrolytic and ceramic are used in parallel.

As a general rule, yes. But they do make electrolytics less than 1uF, although not that common.
You can also get ceramics and polypropylene capacitor >1:mu:F, but 1:mu:F is the usual divide between electrolytics and ceramic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back