Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Steveo

Is there any reason I should not use a Photo Flash Capacitor to replace a Electrolytic. Its part of the TV power supply ?

It doesn't sound a very good idea! - but you don't give many details for us to base a judgement on. Exactly which capacitor in what sort of power supply is it?.

Sorry I looked at the cap, and thought it was deformed! But its ok! The cap is part of the switch-mode power supply. The cap is 270uF 200 volts , but going through my junk The only thing I had close was a photo flash cap rated at 300 volts. I was just thinking that the Photo Flash might of worked

Photoflash caps are electrolytics. But they're not usually rated for continuous duty. I'm not sure if you can compare the capacitance and voltage rating on the package as being equivalent to a general purpose electrolytic. Probably not a good thing to try.

I wouldn't think there would be a problem, providing the capacitor has a low enough ESR it'll be fine.

I know the exact model number of photo flash I have and they don't even list a ESR There's a reason for that, they're produced in bulk and cheaply with wide variances to reduce cost, so the individual device to be used would have to be tested in order to determine if it were okay for use under anything but short pulses infrequently. Even a badly manufactored capacitor is going to last a pretty long time when used at the rate that a disposable camera flash is. I've never taken any apart (they're expensive obviously) so I don't know what kind of capacitors higher end cameras use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back