Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

Hi all,

i use a big capacitor in a project of mine (its a startermotor controller).

And i would like to know if i could let it connected to the car battery
would my battery run flat??

in fact the question should be do capacitors have losses while charged??
the cap is 10.000uF (sow its big).

can knockup a datasheet if needed.

Tks

The capacitor is not going to leak at several amps. It's not going to leak significantly more current than the motor is drawing so it shouldn't be a problem (just don't leave the capacitor connected while the circuit is off, which is pretty obvious).

It could have a giant surge current through because the capacitor is so big.

It shouldn't do, unless the capacitor is excessively leaky - however, what's the purpose of the capacitor?, 10,000uF doesn't sound like much in starter motor terms!.

10 douzand uF isn't much???

the purpose is to minimilize the induction in the wires while PWM ing the engine i supose..

Tks

well if i can eliminate it i would be a solution to my problems anyway..

saying that i will throw away some money..

TKs

Being fet by a battery... and the fact that examples i saw talked about a cap was needed.

10000uF was just a guess... to put something in in fact i have 2 of them.

what do you think it isn´t needed?

would be great..a bit of desolder and solution applied.

when i disconnect after 3 sec it sparks again while conecting.
maybe because the chip is functioning (i forgot to check that detail)
(IR2112)

anyway think i disconnect and then test it again..

couldn´t the chip become with out energie to function when i dish it??
both are connected to the same power source (using the same cable)

Tks

p.d. have 2 of them (1 spare)

TKS said:
Being fet by a battery... and the fact that examples i saw talked about a cap was needed.

10000uF was just a guess... to put something in in fact i have 2 of them.

what do you think it isn´t needed?

10,000uF isn't a big capacitor when used in an amplifers power supply - many use bigger ones. The huge currents drawn by a starter motor (100's of amps) make such a small capacitor pointless.

Starter motor

What sort of problem are you having?

If you have starter motor problems e.g. slow turning over of the engine, check your connections first, positive and negative.
Check for voltage drop in the starter motor cables, especially on the negative if that goes not via a cable back directly to the starter.

If that is ok it is likely that the starter motor brushes may have worn too low.
Most starters have 4 brushes, 2 sets of 2 in parallel.
If one brush wears down the starter may have to turn the engine with only one working set, and can not make the torque and will run slow when cranking the car engine. in that case there will be excessive voltage drop across the working set of brushes and associated wiring.
Dirty commutator or loose connections in the armature, which is usually visible from discoloured varnish or blobs of solder.

What do you mean by the Chip, TKS ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back