Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lecto

Which type of capacitor is in general use today?
Manganese, Polyvinyl, Mylar or Carbon. I surely doubt its carbon..

I never heard of a carbon capacitor. Some common types are Aluminum electrolytic, tantalum, ceramic, polycarbonate, polypropylene and polystyrene.

Not sure about polycarbonate: are you sure you don't mean polyester instead?

Don't forget mica (not used much anymore except for special RF capacitors). Also oil-filled (ditto).

Polycarbonate caps have been used extensively in applications where high precision, wide temp range and high effencies are desired. I do think they are being phased out, however.

There are three common types:

Ceramic - Made with various ceramic dielectrics which generally have a trade-off between capacitance per unit size and temperature stability.

Film - These have film dielectrics such as various plastics (polycarbonate, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyester, etc.) and paper (generally obsolete except for oil-filled paper).

Electrolytic - Polarized types. Largest capacitance values. Aluminum is cheapest and most common. Tantalum is more expensive but has better performance.

Last edited:
hello, i'm new here. i have a question regarding capacitors...

is it plausible to connect a capacitor to a twin pronged dart and use that dart as a shock weapon. (i ask only for research for a publication i am working on, hope this is ok)

Why did you hijack someone else's thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back