Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor voltage rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyymanz

Hi all,

anyone know wat will be a save range to chose for a capacitor voltage rating? i want to filter a ripple signal from a 48V output rectifier. the capacitor i use should have what voltage rating? thanks!

cheers!
Skyy

I assume by 48V you mean RMS value (i.e. constant DC value)
so the Peak voltage of your signal will be 48*(2^0.5) = 68V
and we normally keep safety margin of 1.5
So you requirment will be 68*1.5 = 102V

So I will recommend you to use a capacitor with atleast 100V rating

The following link might be useful for you
https://www.electronics-tutorials.com/basics/power-supply.htm

skyymanz said:
Hi all,

anyone know wat will be a save range to chose for a capacitor voltage rating? i want to filter a ripple signal from a 48V output rectifier. the capacitor i use should have what voltage rating? thanks!

cheers!
Skyy

u can use 63 V or for more 100V for safty
but consider the space 100V will be bigger in size

personally, I double the applications requirement just incase AC voltage is used. so 48 * 2 = 96. capacitors with higher numbers are much better.

Greetings,
A capacitor with a working voltage of at least 48 volts will work. A 50Volt capacitor will work but as with anything pushed to it's maximum limit, it's life will be limited. A manufacturer may use a 63 Volt capacitor to save their $0.02c worth.
I am with Mstechca, I like to double the rating, so 100 Volts it is!
Also if it will be mounted near anything warm like a heatsink, large resistor or such, use a high temperature capacitor (105 degrees celcius) for longer life. I guess you are rectifing 120 Hz and not high frequency so ESR is of no consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back