Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

I have a Plessey AC Motor Start Electrolytic Capacitor USA from a 240v single phase motor that i am trying to get the specifications for, unfortunately most of the writing is worn off so the exact specs are not known:

It is Black in colour, 52mm dia X 112 long, it's hard to make out but it looks as if it might have said 230v?
There is some of the part number remaining but the first & last digits are hard to read.
It looks like 677-9230-1 or 377-9230-1

Can someone help out or is there a site i can go to to look for it?

Do you know the capacitance?

Have you measured it?

Assuming it's rated for AC you could connect it up to the mains with a 3W 10R series resistor. Measure the voltage across the resistor to determine the current; calculate: the capacitor's reactance at the mains frequency and then the capacitance.

The chances are that most non-polarised capacitors that can handle the current and voltage will be fine.

No, the capacitance value is worn off & is the value i need to know, 10R resistor is that 10 Ohms.

What calculation do i need to work out the capacitance value from voltage across the resistor?

Thanks

Assuming that R is small compared to Xc:
[latex]
I = \frac{V_R}{R}\\
X_C = \frac{V}{I} \\
C = \frac{1}{2 \pi X_CF}\\
V_R = \text{Voltage measured across the resistor.}\\
R = \text{Resistor value.}\\
X_C =\text{Reactance of the capacitor.}\\
I = \text{Current}\\
F = \text{Mains frequency} [/latex]

Check it with an ohmmeter first.
If you put more than a few volts/amps into the cap, wear face protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back