Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrix

Hi,-- something that is bothering me for quite some time now--Most of the regulator datasheets(78XX for eg) say that an input capacitor to the regulator is required to be connected if the dc unregul. voltage source is at a far away distance from the regulator. Is this true ??
If it is then what are the calculations that go into it?

I thought that the most imp. factor while choosing the cap. value would be the ripple factor (assuming known load current,o/p voltage, freq )

There's nothing to calculate - the 78xx regulators require capacitors close to the pins, on BOTH input and output - it's to stop them oscillating. You can use 0.1uF, 1uF, 10uF - it's not critical. I usually use a couple of small electrolytics, I don't even check the values! - they are going to be either 1uF, 2.2uF, 4,7uF or 10uF - all of which work fine.

The ripple factor depends on the load resistance. Higher the resistance, lower the ripple factor.

I normally use a 1000uF or a 2200uF shunt capacitor type filter. I have used the 7800 series and LM317 and you need to put the extra capacitor only if the IC is 6inches or further away from the filter capacitor.

I think you can put the filter capacitor as close to the IC as possible, because there is no restriction on far the filter can be from the rectifier :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back