Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor - Tv repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt12345

Hello,
Im new here, very nice website.
Im a first year electrical engineering student and need some help repairing a tv for a friend. I have found the parts that were causing the problem and i have removed them.

here are the specs:
**broken link removed**

2200 µF
10 volts
105 deg C
The backplane is 12 Volts, i dont understand why the manufacturer would use 10 Volts.

Here is what i was able to find without having to drive a long way to get more selection.

**broken link removed**

2200 µF
25 volts
105 deg C

The physical size of these are much larger then the original, which i think i can manage, however i was unsure of the voltage.

Thank you,
Matt

Last edited:
...repairing a tv for a friend. I have found the parts that were causing the problem and i have removed them.
How do you know that these are the causing the problem?
here are the specs:
2200 µF
10 volts
105 deg C
The backplane is 12 Volts, i dont understand why the manufacturer would use 10 Volts.
Are you sure that there is 12v at the point where these capacitors are fitted?
If there is 12v there then they could have been fitted because:
The designer was an idiot, or:
Someone made a mistake during production, or:
They had them in stock, they wanted to get the TVs out of the door and took a gamble that they would last long enough that nobody would care less.

Here is what i was able to find without having to drive a long way to get more selection.
2200 µF
25 volts
105 deg C
The physical size of these are much larger then the original, which i think i can manage, however i was unsure of the voltage.
If they dont physically fit, just keep the leads long enough so they will fit, lead length should not be critical with that capacitor.
The voltage? No problem, they should last for ever.
A conservative design intended for reliability would only run a component at 50-75% of its rating anyway.

JimB

Thank you very much for your help JimB. I know these caps are the problem because i have done some research for the model and these are a common failure point. The characteristics of problematic tv sets were the same as this tv. Also, I am sure that there is 12v at this point, i have done some extra reading and found that they were cheap parts for one and the manufacturer failed to size them properly.

With that said, I have read that sizing should be from two thirds of the operating voltage up to double the operating voltage. Im beginning to understand that this greatly affects the lifespan. So 25V should last a long time, given that they are installed properly.

Thanks again for your help.
I will definately be back and would love to help others once i learn more. :)

Last edited:
Matt,

OK let us know how you get on fixing the TV.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back