Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor self-discharge rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futterama

Hi,

I would like to know how fast a certain capacitor self-discharges - or how much the voltage will decrease after a certain amount of time.

Specifically I would like to know if a MKT/MKP capacitor will loose a significant amount of charge in 62ms when charged to 600V. The capacitor is a MKT or MKP type, rated 470nF and either 630V or 1000V. I guess if the capacitor is rated 630V it will discharge faster than one rated 1000V.

One capacitor example could be this:

VISHAY ROEDERSTEIN|MKP1840447104M|CAPACITOR, MKP, 470NF, 1000V, | Farnell Danmark

I don't need an advanced calculation, but rather a "Yes, the capacitor will loose significant charge over 62ms" or the opposite.

I guess "significant" for me is more than 5-10% of the voltage.

Thanks.

No it wont loose any charge over 62 MS.
I have similar ones that I have gotten shocked off of weeks after I charged them up.

In the Farnell catalogue, the PDF Technical Datasheet gives the insulation resistance as greater than 100,000 Meg Ohm.
So I think the quick answer to your question is "No, the capacitor will not lose significant charge over 63mS"

JimB

Just remember that BOARD LEAKAGE can be significantly higher than the capacitor's self leakage.

Leftover fluxes are the worst offenders, clean your board thoroughly after soldering. Even no-clean fluxes present leakage at higher temperatures and/or humidities.

Not to mention the rest of the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back