Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranatungawk

if i replace a bad capacitor with a new cap with same capacitance and high voltage than the old one... can anything go wrong ?

ex: bad cap value is 10MFD & 10V.... i'm going to replace it with 10MFD 50V one.....

Quick answer - no, it will be OK.

Longer answer.
For an electrolytic capacitor, I have an idea at the back of my mind that they work best when operated at 40 to 80% of their rated voltage.
Does any one else here on ETO have any thoughts on this.

JimB

It will be perfectly fine, and probably better than the original - higher voltage electrolytics usually have lower ESR.

The small size of 10uF 63V means that's the only voltage I ever stock - for 1uF I only stock 100V.

The closer you are to the voltage limit, the higher the leakage will be.

The idea at the back of my mind is that high voltage capacitors have lower ESR used at the lower voltage, but that could be wrong.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back