Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor questions (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I right in thinking that capacitors are unlike other electronic components in that generally the negative end is connected to a negative source and the positive end is connected to a positive source?

Let me explain: If you wanted to connect a bunch of diodes in forward bias, you would connect the negative end of each one to the positive end of the next, and then they would all work. +ve to -ve and -ve to +ve, right? But with a capacitor in series with a diode, you connect the positive end of the capacitor to the positive end of the diode.

Richard

Diodes don't have negative and positive ends, they have anodes and cathodes. For conduction, you must forward bias the diode, which means the anode has to be more positive than the cathode, by at least ~.6V. Both diodes and capacitors may be connected in series. But I don't know what you mean by "connect the positive end of the capacitor to the positive end of the diode" Maybe you can show a diagram???

Last edited:
your idea is correct, but you can add caps + to - too,,

resistors value in series addup
capacitors value in parallel addup

diodes are like one way valves in series it looks like: +vcc +d- +d- +d- -gnd <--thats forward bias(allows flow)

only polarized capacitors need to be biased, but can be put in series

I dont get your third question either....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back