Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckbales

I'm trying to become more familiar with capacitors and whether its feasible for for a project. I found that Farad = Current * time / Voltage. In this project, we're trying to have some LED bulbs (12V, 20W) lit up for some period of time (at least 1 hour). I figured F=1.6A * 3600s / 12V = 480 Farads, which I realize is ridiculously huge for a small light system. Is my concept math right?

Just use a normal lead-acid battery.
A 480 farad capacitor (if it exist) will be really, but really huge.

A capacitor is not an ideal energy storage medium, and it's VERY non linear over time voltage and current drop at an exponential rate. A 480 farad capacitor at 12 volts is not practical, aside from the non linear nature, high farad capacitors are usually only in the 2.5 volt range and even then 480 farads would require one hell of an array. The price would probably make you crap your pants as I have 1 farad 5 volt cap's that cost 2.50 each, your equations are direct energy relation equations and don't take into account the real world nature of energy and it's conversion efficiency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back