Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOrb24

Hi Everyone

This is a very noob question about capacitors but last night I built a little circuit with a 555 timer and piezo buzzer and I decided to add a few capacitors to see what would happen and the sounds completly changed.

My question is what exacly happens to the sound and the square wave when you add a capacitor

1.) In series with the buzzer
2.) In parallel with the buzzer
3.) One in series and one in parallel at the same time.

The one in parallel seems do dissipate the energy when the signal is low so the sound is smooth and long. But what happens with the one in series?

For the 3rd question I was thinking something in the lines of this picture below. Excuse the bad paint work. But what would happen in that arrangement or if the parallel was in the base and the series was before the buzzer in the collector.

Thanks All

Attachments

• Cap.JPG
    Cap.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 188
A piezo buzzer whistles when it has DC across it because it has a built in transistor oscillator. A 555 oscillator usually drives a piezo transducer (speaker) not a buzzer. A 555 that oscillates very slowly can turn on and off a piezo buzzer.

In MS Paint, hold down the Shift key to make straight lines.

Your circuit doesn't have a 555, it has a transistor instead. The transistor doesn't have any input bias current so it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back