Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishape

I have a blank pcb to make a bench power supply. It calls for four 2200uf 50v electro's. The bd. has room for caps of 12.5mm. Smallest I can find is 16mm. Bd. supplier says go down to 1000uf's. It appears as two pairs each wired series and the two pairs wired in parallel which by my figures leaves me with 2200uf. Using 1000uf's would leave 1000uf. My question: is it worth using the leads on the 2200's as standoffs to keep the original capacitance? Being new at this my figures could easily be wrong but question remains the same.

Not sure exactly what you are asking but here goes...

Your specified 2200uF capacitors are wired in parallel, two on the +ve rail and two on the -ve rail to give 4400uF on each in total. The more the merrier to keep your rails ripple free so sticking to the original 2200uF would be best so yes raise the capacitors up a little if you have to and stick to the original caps. ;-)

Thanks tronitech, you did answer my question, which was it worth the gerry rigging to keep the orginal cap. The other rambling I was doing is it looked to me like each pair of 2200's was wired in series and then the two pairs joined parallel. If it was done this way of coarse you lose cap. on the series wiring. Like I said I am new at this but when I see anything wired with plus to minus as those pairs are I assumed series and then the two wire links R1 and R2 joining them as parallel. It did seem odd but there you go, thats learning for you. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back