Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor in parallel with resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezugudor

Hello pls am new can someone tell me the nature and properties of the current produced when capacitor is connected in parallel with resistor

Hello pls am new can someone tell me the nature and properties of the current produced when capacitor is connected in parallel with resistor

hi,
The capacitor voltage will fall exponentially.

Look here: **broken link removed**

Wat if a bulb is connected in series with the circuit wat will happen

hi,
If say the bulb was a 6volt bulb and the capacitor had been charged to say 6 volts then when the bulb was connected across the capacitor, the bulb would briefly light up and then quickly go dark.
The time it remained lit would also depend upon the value of the capacitor in micro farads.

The bulb has a resistance value, say its a 6V bulb and rated at 6 watts, [when light] the current thru the bulb would be 6W/6V = 1 amp, so using OHMS law the resistance would be R=V/I = 6V/1A =6 ohms. OK.?

hi,
If say the bulb was a 6volt bulb and the capacitor had been charged to say 6 volts then when the bulb was connected across the capacitor, the bulb would briefly light up and then quickly go dark.
The time it remained lit would also depend upon the value of the capacitor in micro farads.

The bulb has a resistance value, say its a 6V bulb and rated at 6 watts, [when light] the current thru the bulb would be 6W/6V = 1 amp, so using OHMS law the resistance would be R=V/I = 6V/1A =6 ohms. OK.?

but wat about the resistor in parallel with the capacitor,will it not have any effect in the bulb since you said that "the capacitor voltage will fall exponentilly"

but wat about the resistor in parallel with the capacitor,will it not have any effect in the bulb since you said that "the capacitor voltage will fall exponentilly"

hi,
With just a resistor across the capacitor the voltage will fall exponentially.

When you say connect a bulb in series, is it in series with the resistor.??

If yes, then the voltage will still fall exponentially but at rate dependent upon the value of resistor, the 'resistance' of the bulb and the capacitor microfarad value. OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back