Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor in my circuit..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benja

Dear forum,

I'm studying Mechanical Engineering in Australia, but I am interested in electronics.
I don't know too much about circuits at the moment, thus why I came here. I'm sort of into making use of every bit of energy, being a budding engineer, and I was wondering if anyone could help me build a small project.

Ok, so a general description of my project is a small Dc Motor-Generator (out of an old remote control car). I recently discovered that turning the motor manually produces electric current, so I dismantled and unsoldered all the wires. I attached a larger wheel onto the axle of the motor, and attached a voltmeter to the positive and negative terminals.

I got up to around 2.3V pretty consistantly with turning the wheel, but it wasn't really a useful power yet. I realise I could upsize my wheel to make it turn faster, and create more power, but I was wondering if I could set up a circuit to fix it.

I've heard Capacitors store electricity between two plates, but I don't know much more. Is it possible to load the capacitors with my 2.3V until the voltage becomes a more useful 10-12V?

Sorry if this is a inane question, but I really don't know.

Benja,

A capacitor can store a DC voltage (charge) but it can not, by itself, increase the voltage. For that you need something like a boost switching regulator. And, of course, if you increase the voltage, you reduce the available current by a proportional amount.

A capacitor can store a DC voltage (charge) but it can not, by itself, increase the voltage. For that you need something like a boost switching regulator. And, of course, if you increase the voltage, you reduce the available current by a proportional amount.

Thankyou so much, that really helps. That's a bit disappointing thought...
I think im going to need to go back to the drawing board.

Try switching to a stepper motor instead of your DC motor as a generator. Steppers can be had for little or no money by taking apart a broken computer printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back