Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

codan

Hi Everybody,

Could someone help me identify the small yellow capacitors in the picture attached, there is a green 4.7uF 35v Tantalum capacitor shown for a size comparison.

Also, what is the main use for this type of capacitor, is there a specialized purpose for these, they are probably common but i haven't seen them before being a newbie?

Thanks

Attachments

• caps.JPG
    caps.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,906
From what I've learned, the green capacitor is a "Ceramic Disk Capacitor".

Correct me if I an wrong anyone, to the OP do what I did and google "how to identify electronic components", you get all sorts of good information.

Last edited:
As far as i know different-different capacitors are used for the different-different applications for example if you need polarity u use electrolyte capacitors....

so the use of capacitor is depands on application.

There are many good link for identifying caps, I will look around for you.

Here ya go.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
TheNewGuy,
Tantalum Capacitors are electrolytic capacitors that use a material called tantalum for the electrodes. If i got that correct it'll be a first.:D

Thanks Mikebits, good read with the link.

rahul.sadtm

Yes, i think your right with them being Multi Layered Ceramic.

Yes,

The green one is a tantalum and the yellow ones are multi-layer ceramic.

JimB

TheNewGuy,
Tantalum Capacitors are electrolytic capacitors that use a material called tantalum for the electrodes. If i got that correct it'll be a first.:D

Thanks Mikebits, good read with the link.

rahul.sadtm

Yes, i think your right with them being Multi Layered Ceramic.

Tantalum Capacitor? That is interesting, I found (here) that they are super reliable, but not precise. Because of that they are used in medical electronics and space electronics because of their reliability.

They however tend to fail dead short and don't tollerate over voltage. Durability is just as important as reliability. If they're used where their reliability is required then protection circuitry for their durability problems must have already been addressed.

They however tend to fail dead short and don't tollerate over voltage. Durability is just as important as reliability. If they're used where their reliability is required then protection circuitry for their durability problems must have already been addressed.

Wow, so don't apply too much voltage. :(

To the OP, are you going to do anything with these capacitors?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back