Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXTech

Hi all! I need some help in finding the part numbers of a couple capacitors. I have their size, what they're marked with, and also what my Smart Tweezers measured their capacitance as.

One is marked 'AJ5'
capacitance from tweezers: ~203.2nF = 203200pF = .2032uF
Other is marked 'J5'
capacitance from tweezers: ~224.5nF = 224500pF = .2245uF

AJ5 size is ~3.1mm x 2.5mm, and 0.5mm high.

J5 size is ~3.1mm x 2.5mm, and 1mm high.

Anybody know where I could use that info to get the specific part numbers?

The application for these are M2000 series phones from Nortel; would they've possibly been made specificly for Nortel?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

They are both generic 220nF capacitors for supply decoupling. Don't worry about the part number, just get 220nF capacitors rated for a voltage than the power supply.

Thanks for posting Hero999! So, even though they are 203 and 224 capacitance, a 220 will suffice? That's not too big of a difference or something? I'm also wondering because, on the boards, when these two are used, they'll also have different resistors, capacitors, etc., in different spots as well. Like for one, it would be a 2373 resistor, and then for the other it would be a 3162.
Sorry if these are dumb questions, I just want to be sure, so I don't get a bunch of one's I don't need.
Thanks again!

They are both 220nF capacitors and probably have a tollerance of about 10% meaning their values could be anyware between 198nF and 244nF.

I've never seen a 2372:eek:hm: resistor before but I've seen plenty of 2.4k resistors.

I've never seen a 3162:eek:hm: resistor before but I've seen plenty of 3.3k resistors.

Do you know what tollerance the resistors are?

I've assumed that the are 5% (which is most likely) so I've rounded them to E24 values but of course it's possible that they are <%2 tollerance in which case they are 2k37 and 3k16 respectively.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...0&ct=result&cd=1&q=resistor+tolerance&spell=1
https://www.google.com/search?clien...istor+values&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited:
Ah-Ha! So the tollerance allows the values to vary, depending on the other components values on the board.
So a 220nF capacitor with 10% tollerance is the way to go. Makes perfect sense now. :) I probably should've known that...or at least seen it in a datasheet what the minimum and maximum values could be, with each tollerance.
Oh well! Good thing there's smart people like you to answer silly questions like mine.
Thanks again!!! I'm sure I'll be posting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back