Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor esr

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozikluv

:) hi guys,

what's the ESR of a standard electrolytic cap. for 4,700uf and 10,000uf?

thanx

:) :)

mozikluv said:
what's the ESR of a standard electrolytic cap. for 4,700uf and 10,000uf?

Basically the higher the value, the lower the ESR - also the higher the working voltage the lower the ESR - so a 4,700uF 25V will be better than a 4,700uF 16V.

For these sorts of values you are talking very low ESR values, probably 0.1 ohm and below.

ESR has become very important in recent years, one of the major causes of problems in domestic electronics is low ESR capacitors - the ESR meter I built a few years ago comes in extremely useful :lol:

esr meter

:D hi nigel,

thanx for your reply, by the way can you share the schem of you esr meter, i have a cap meter only. i have seen one schem in the net but the problem is the availability of the parts used by the author. :D

Re: esr meter

mozikluv said:
:D hi nigel,

thanx for your reply, by the way can you share the schem of you esr meter, i have a cap meter only. i have seen one schem in the net but the problem is the availability of the parts used by the author. :D

I've got an article I scanned and OCR'd from a magazine (so I don't want to post it on my website), if you send me a personal message with your email address I'll email it to you.

:shock:
Come from Equivalent Serial Resistance, and is basically give by the tickness of electrolit between anode and package(cathode) and by the surface of anode. Is dependent by temperature and frequency, so at high frequency or short current pulses increase de cap impedance and make electrolitics to be inefficient. In this conditions the main electrolitic cap must be doubled with non-electrolitic cap in order to prevent the voltage spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back