Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor charging circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamN

Does anyone have any good ideas for building a capacitor charging circuit for a coil gun. I thought about using a 555 timer with a PNP/NPN transistor amp feeding pulses to a step up transformer charging 3 big electrolytic capacitors that are wired in parallel. Space is not an issue so if there is anyone who has better desgins let me know. I want to use 12Vdc.

WilliamN said:
Does anyone have any good ideas for building a capacitor charging circuit for a coil gun. I thought about using a 555 timer with a PNP/NPN transistor amp feeding pulses to a step up transformer charging 3 big electrolytic capacitors that are wired in parallel. Space is not an issue so if there is anyone who has better desgins let me know. I want to use 12Vdc.

You don't mention any specs you need, but have you considered using a cheap flash gun, or the flash components out of a cheap disposable camera?. They are not 12V though!.

What do you mean by "coil gun"? Do you intend to accelerate a missile using magnetic repulsion? Dumping a large capacitor into the coil could produce spectacular results, but the switch will have to carry lots of current. I don't see why you need a timer unless there are more than one coil.

I suggested the 555 not for timing purposes, but as an oscillator to charge a large capacitor to 500v. I want to use a 12v supply voltage then bump it up to 300v. I am using a disposable camera unit now with a diff capacitor(bigger) soldered in place of the original. This works but I would like to build my own power supply. Thats what I was asking for, a circuit similar to the photoflash charger. Basically I just need a 12v to 300v power supply. My capacitor bank will be (3) 400uf 500v capacitors wired in parallel. So I am looking for a circuit that will charge them relatively quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back