Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor bank question, series or parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I have 34 capacitors they are all 7400. MFD 200 VDC with 250 VDC surge.

I want to connect them all together to deliver as much power as possible as quickly as possible. What is the best way to connect them all together.

I am going to use this for more than 1 project. 1 project will be a can crusher the other project will be a rail gun.

Last edited:
If you want the highest current then connect them in parallel. The total capacitance is then the sum of all the capacitor values or 0.251F

Maximum discharge defined how? As far as energy goes, it matters not.

(1/2)(7400µF/34)(200V*34)(200V*34) = 5032 Joules at 6800 Volts.

(1/2)(7400µF*34)(200V)(200V) = 5032 Joules at 200 Volts.

What do you mean "largest amount of discharge"?

If you mean you want it to discharge as quick as possible then you'll want to look at the time constant. [LATEX]T=RC[/LATEX]. The total resistance * the total capacitance will give you a number which is the time taken for the capacitors to discharge to 37% of their maximum value. This is taken from the exponential function [LATEX]e^-1[/LATEX] as cap discharge is exponential. Therefore, try and get the resistors as low a value as possible.

If you want the largest current then you'll be using [LATEX]I=CV/t[/LATEX] in which case you'll want to put your caps in parallel (as crutschow stated) as they simply add up [LATEX](C1+C2+C3+C4)[/LATEX]. However in series they add like resistors in parallel [LATEX](1/C1 + 1/C2 = 1/C3 = 1/C4)[/LATEX].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back