Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Bank Discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Repass

The theory behind this schematic is three capacitor banks that each fire as the previous one’s power reaches a low point. The switch is manual and when thrown causes Capacitor Bank 1 to discharge. When Bank one reaches a predetermined low voltage (determined by the zener diode) Bank 2 automatically discharges its capacitors. The same action is followed for Bank 3. This would create a pulse of DC voltage. If my theory is wrong or the schematic incorrect, please let me know. Also I would like any advice about the schematic. Thank you. –Jim Repass

Attachments

• Multiple Capacito.png
    Multiple Capacito.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Why? As in what function does it serve?

The idea is to provide a 14 second supply of high voltage. If I understand it correctly, the three banks of capacitors will discharge one bank at a time as the previous one reaches a certain level of lower voltage. This would create a wave or pulse of high DC voltage that could by the number of banks and size of capacitors produce the 14 seconds of high voltage. Thank you for your response. –Jim Repass

Last edited:
The energy stored in all the capacitors combined is the same regardless of if you discharge them one at a time or all of them together.
I dont see what purpose or possible gains you would get by dumping them one at a time instead of drawing off of them all at the same time.

As your circuit shows you are dumping the DC power form the capacitors into a transformer which is a AC device so it will not do anything as shown in your schematic.

Last edited:
Unless the transformer is designed for a very low frequency response, it will generate only a short output pulse for a long input pulse. Achieving a 14 second pulse would require a huge transformer with a very high magnetizing inductance. Suggest you look for another way to generate your pulse.

What voltage and current level are you looking to generate?

You won't get a very high voltage using a step down transformer.

If you want a high voltage, connect the capacitors in series and use a DC-DC converter to charge them.

If you want to stretch the pulse out, you'll need to add some inductors to form a pulse forming network.

If you want to sustain a very high voltage for 14 seconds, why you don't get a Neon Sign Transformer?
Now, if you want DC, scrap the diode from an old microwave oven

Last edited:
That's a point, it depends on what voltage you're talking about?

Normally high voltage is over 1kV or so but sometimes people use the term when talking about dangerous voltages or just a higher voltage than the power supply they're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back