Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) unit for KLX250S

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooredan

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and posted in the general ****-chat area for tips on winding a transformer.

My project underway is a CDI unit for a Kawasaki KLX250S motorcycle:
**broken link removed**

I do have a working prototype, but it far from being perfected. Here's a YouTube video of the design in operation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dJ0AHexQ8c

I have an abbreviated log of my work here: **broken link removed**

It is a PIC-based design. One problem that I'm currently trying to tackle is my DC-DC converter section isn't powerful enough to fully charge the capacitor at RPMs greater than 6000-7000 RPM, which results in a weak spark. So I'm looking at an alternative design for the DC-DC converter.

The design I'm going to try utilizes a TI TL494 Pulse Width-Modulation Control circuit and a custom-wound transformer set up in a push-pull configuration.

This will be the first transformer I ever wind so any tips would be certainly welcome.

Thanks.
Dan

Hi there
can any one suggest a reliable aftermarket cdi unit for a single cylinder 4 stroke engine. My 260 Rustler's cdi has developed an intermitent fault and works only when it wants to. Borrowed a mate's cdi and coil and thats how I narrowed down the problem. Opend the cdi unit but its inbeded in some type of epoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back