Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitance, resistance and inductance

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincaveman

can someone do a newbie/refresher article in electronic theory for these three subject, i know it'll be helpful for a number of people(me included)

something on theory, types, uses and anything else useful

thanks

Captaincaveman:)

Use google and a textbook. It's pretty extensive stuff that can be confusing without a few pictures and whatnot.

Impedence is a complex number. Resistance is impedence when there is no imaginary part.

Resistors limit current flow.
Capacitor impedence decreases as signal frequency increases (blocks low frequencies).
Inductor impedence increases as frequency increases (blocks high frequencies)

Resistor: V = IR
Capacitor: I = C*(dv/dt), voltage changes must be continous for capacitors (no jumps)
Inductor: V = L*(di/dt) current changes must be continous for inductors (no jumps)

Transfer Functions H(w):
Resistor: H(s) = R
Capacitor: H(s) = 1/(sC)
Inductor: H(jw) = sL

s is a complex variable where s = d+jw. For constant real frequencies, let d = 0 so that s = jw. w is frequency in radians per second. j is the complex number sqrt(-1) referred to as i by mathematicians.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back