Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitance measurement using Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodquilon

I am using Wheatstone's Bridge for Resistance measurement and
Max well's Bridge for Inductance measurement.

Which Bridge configuration that I can use for Capacitance measurement ?

It's virtually the same thing except that the bridge contains a reactive elements on two of the arms. The following seems to give a good writeup:

A signal generator and 'scope works well for me.

Set the signal generator to a known, frequency and output voltage, measure with the 'scope to confirm.

Connect the capacitor or inductor across the output of the signal generator, measure the reduction in voltage.

The signal generator I use has two outputs: one 50Ω and another 600Ω, so I can work out the impedance of the capacitor/inductor by the voltage drop and then calculate the value using the frequency.

A signal generator and 'scope works well for me.

Set the signal generator to a known, frequency and output voltage, measure with the 'scope to confirm.

Connect the capacitor or inductor across the output of the signal generator, measure the reduction in voltage.

The signal generator I use has two outputs: one 50Ω and another 600Ω, so I can work out the impedance of the capacitor/inductor by the voltage drop and then calculate the value using the frequency.

Interesting !! What is the formulas you are using ?

At least I've got an application for some of our workshop equipment. :eek:

Thanks Hero,

I'll take my time to read it and try to do some experiments. In case I need some examples I'll activate this thread again.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back