Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cap type for OpAmp integrater circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerTango

I have this circuit I want to build to experiment with wave shaping, however I am not sure what TYPE of capacitor C1 is.

(Ceramic, Electrolytic, Tantalum, Etc..)

**broken link removed**

Suggestions welcome,
Andrew

Last edited:
Being such a low value it won't be electrolytic or tantalum. This cap should have high leakage resistance so that its leakage won't affect the feedback circuit. Of course the 1 meg resistor swamps that anyhow. You can use a ceramic cap (cheap) or a polystyrene cap if you want. There are probably others just as good, I'm just telling you what worked for me.

Any ceramic or film type capacitor should work. Don't use an electrolytic or tantalum as they are polarized and have relatively high leakage current.

A film type capacitor, polystyrene or polypropelene would be the best.

Last edited:
You must not use polarized capacitor because of possible reverse polarisation. Use ceramic, film or foil capacitor.

I have that value ceramic cap in stock, I will try that. Thanks so much for the answers, and education. Still learning!!

Ceramic caps have high temp coefficient and are not that linear, a polyester, polystyrene or polypropylene would give lower distortion.

Ceramic caps have high temp coefficient and are not that linear, a polyester, polystyrene or polypropylene would give lower distortion.
That's true for critical or sensitive applications. But for the purposes of his homework/lab work, a ceramic cap should work fine. He is unlikely to notice the small temp coefficient or non-linear effects.

I agree, but the cap info is useful to know, maybe not now but possibly later. Really shouldn't use ceramic caps in an integrator, it's just wrong. :)

Since I am still learning (as a hobby, I am self taught), the additional information on cap types and applications is appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back