Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cap Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I use & wouldnt be with out it & been using it for several years now. Its still avalable as a kit from Altronics. ESR Capacitor Test Meter Kit (MK11) $89.95. K2574. www.altronics.com.au

Attachments

• Caps 3.JPG
    Caps 3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 199
Heres a bit more info on it, Ive built & use 2 of these units. Mk1 & Mk2.

Attachments

• ESR 2.JPG
    ESR 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 269
  • ESR 3.JPG
    ESR 3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
  • ESR 4.JPG
    ESR 4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 318
Ill second that ESR meter the Debe uses, I have 2 of them that have provided many years of good service. They also measure low ohms, like resistors and wires down to 0.01 ohms.

Thye are a little heavy on 9v battery use so it's worth putting a DC jack on the side enabling you to use a 9v DC wall-wart (plugpack).

That is a good idea. I do have a small, 2A, 2-18 VDC power supply.
I have been contemplating the Capacitor Wizard, but they are 200 dollars. So be it. I do not mind spending the money, if they are worth it.
Trouble is, there does not seem to be a whole lot of reviews of these meters, from actual users. Kind of hard to know how well they work in the "real world".
I know there is/was a Russian cap meter that was pretty popular for the last couple of years.
Anyway.....Thanks Again for your input.

A few years ago I was able to get a B&K 886 LCR meter (for less than half of what they cost now and I got it in a trade where I didn't have to come up with any cash). It has been surprisingly useful, much more so that I thought it would be. It measures resistance with a Kelvin 4 wire clip to 1 mΩ (but I doubt it's accurate to that level), along with capacitance and inductance at a variety of test frequencies. It will measure a capacitor's ESR. I've checked its inductance measurements against calculated inductances for simple coils and straight wires and it's always been within a percent or so of the calculated value. If you've ever used an impedance bridge like the GR 1650B, it beats balancing a bridge all to hell speed-wise.

An LCR meter may be more than what you're looking for right now, but if this unit is reliable, I'll be putting it to good use for a number of years. However, it is currently at $800 and I can say I'd never spend that much for such a meter today. I think you can find much better deals elsewhere.

The kit debe linked to at $90 is ideal for testing caps in circuit. It uses a high freq test waveform of very low voltage so it does not activate any diode or transistor junctions in the board under test. It is a well proven design.

nothing is wrong with the Atlas it's superb bit of kit but it also costs alot more, for what i need the kit would be a better way to go. if money was no object then i would go for a Atlas but the money i save is more money for other bits of kit for the workshop :D

Bit more info, would post more but theres 15 pages.

Attachments

• ESR 12.JPG
    ESR 12.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back