Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cant undersand this example..(quantum mehanics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The symbols are used to indicate the state of a spin 1/2 particle. The arrows indicate spin up (m = 1/2) or spin down (m = -1/2). The representation of these states in terms of column vectors is given in the middle of the page. They are operated on by the various 2x2 matrices called the Pauli matries.

i dont know what . "The arrows indicate spin up (m = 1/2) or spin down (m = -1/2)"

where can i learn about this stuff more thurely,

maybe its a chapter of new math(i know multivariable calculus)

?

Last edited:
Multivariable calculus is not much help with this part of quantum physics. Basic matrix algebra is necessary. This really requires a lot of background knowledge that should be provided by your instructor. I don't know how you can be expected to work problems without the necessary information.

Here are a couple references that may help:

Electron spin

Spin-½ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feyman Lectures in Physics Vol 3 is a good reference on basic quantum mechanics. They can be downloaded from scribd.

To be honest I don't see how you can be expected to do this work without good lectures from your instructor. This is hard material. I wish you good well.

does it fit with this syllabus
**broken link removed**
?

i looked at the lecture you proposed
and the lecturer says thats its for older people
and not for freshmen
so i cant decide if it fits me

Last edited:
I don't know, probably not exactly.

I've searched quite a bit and haven't yet found a good set of lectures on quantum mechanics.

I don't think you are going to find a set of video lectures that corresponds exactly to your syllabus. There are going to be lectures that correspond to various topics in the syllabus.

The lecturer sounds like he is going to discuss spin and Dirac notation, and perhaps inner products. How long it takes him to get there, I don't know.

The best that I can tell you is to look at each lecture, and see if it contains anything useful to you for your course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back