Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cant get audio to work after a fresh XP pro install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
This one driving me nuts. I cant get the audio to work on a computer I am setting up. I assume it or I am missing something in the setup but I don't know what.

When I go to the Sounds and audio devices panel I have no control over anything. It says no audio device but my mother board has both front and rear audio inputs and outputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

This one driving me nuts. I cant get the audio to work on a computer I am setting up. I assume it or I am missing something in the setup but I don't know what.

When I go to the Sounds and audio devices panel I have no control over anything. It says no audio device but my mother board has both front and rear audio inputs and outputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you installed the device drivers that came with the motherboard?.

Isn't XP plug n play?

XP service pack 3 is still supported, should have the drivers if MS validated. My question to TCM, is your XP SP3?

TCM

Have a look at the attachment, this is a quich cut from the PC I am using at the moment.
The question marks in Device Manager show where XP has recognised some hardware, but does not have a driver for it.

If the driver is missing, you either need the disc with the drivers, or, let the PC go looking on the internet for a suitable driver.

JimB

Attachments

• Device Manager.PNG
    Device Manager.PNG
    103.8 KB · Views: 392
XP service pack 3 is still supported, should have the drivers if MS validated. My question to TCM, is your XP SP3?

It's doubtful if his install disc is SP3, wasn't that a much later update?, after Vista had long replaced XP.

Why not just install the drivers for the board?, if he's not got the CD with them on, he can easily download them - I've done so on many systems I've built using secondhand boards.

Here is what I do know.

Yes I have service pack 3 installed.

When I go to the device manger screen there is the question mark in the Multimedia audio controller tab. The problem is the hardware update wizard cant find a driver for it. It jujst runs and runs but never gets any place.

So where do I go to download a compatible driver? I cant find one on the microsoft sites for what ever reason.

The board is a older Intel D865GL/D865PESO

I am intending to set it up as a basic media player unit for the living room just to run movies and music on.

I have been working on this a bit more this morning now. So far I have installed the original driver and am working on installing the SoundMax driver from the Intel site.

It seems to be installing something now so apparently uninstalling what ever it had and rebooting was the trick!

I had sound on the shutdown! :D

Thanks for all your almost help! :p

Last edited:
:DEverything is working and now its set up as the new media source for the living room! :D

It still amazes me how well a basic older model computer can run video and related programs once its been stripped of all non essential fluff software.:p

So far its running out 40 - 50 second boot up times and 5 - 10 second shutdown plus the media players response time from my choosing a movie to actually playing it is almost instant!

What I built it from is the Intel D865 board my brother was going to toss out with a 2Ghz processor. I added an old case and well used 350 watt power supply, one odd 256 meg ram stick and a second odd 512 meg ram stick, 4 misc hard drives ( 2 SATA 2 regular) totaling about 1.9 TB I had laying around, a cheap wireless keyboard and mouse set, a wireless LAN card I found in a crushed computer in scrap yard burn pile, and a free 15" LCD monitor plus the XP program thats been stripped of about 50 -100 meg of unneeded fluff.

Cheap dirty and very functional! ;)

Hello tcmtech,
It looks like you haven't installed sound Drivers yet, You would require to install sound drivers in order to play a sound in windows xp OS. Install Sound drivers and then check it will surely work fine. :)

Hello tcmtech,
It looks like you haven't installed sound Drivers yet, You would require to install sound drivers in order to play a sound in windows xp OS. Install Sound drivers and then check it will surely work fine. :)
If you read the rest of this thread you'll notice that he sorted this problem over 5 months ago .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back