Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't get add-on LED light strip to work on existing LED brake light circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBumkin

I have a 2011 Infiniti M37. I want to add an additional (low mounted) LED brake light. I bought a 12V single row 12 L.E.D. brake light strip (sold as an automotive "3rd brake light" application) from Pacer Performance #20-701). I spliced into the existing wiring at the right tail light. I have 11.2 V and a good ground at the new LED light strip but the new LEDs will not light. The light strip does work if I connect it directly to the battery (so I know the light strip is not defective). I also tried reversing polarity to light - no change. The existing Infiniti brake lights are LED and are powered through the car's Body Control Module. Is it possible that the BCM is limiting current? What else would prevent the new LED light strip from working?
This one has me baffled.

did you check the voltage at the OEM brake light? and also while the vehicle is running? also the web site dosen't give much info as to the req'd volt and current ratings.

Problem solved. It was installation error. I was using a crimp-on ground eyelet under a stud, and I was clamping my meter ground to the stud (not the eyelet). Turns out the connection between the eyelet and the stud was poor. I redid the ground and spliced directly into the ground wire from the stop light and everything is working now.
I wasted a bunch of time assuming I had good connections. lesson learned.

did you check the voltage at the OEM brake light? and also while the vehicle is running? also the web site dosen't give much info as to the req'd volt and current ratings.
Thanks Joe. I had the same look in my eyes trying to figure this out - as you avatar (dog).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back