Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't find the good relay

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's actually a good ideau howerver a wall wart takes up a lot of space and I want the whole thing to fit in those metal boxes you use to fit light switches/electrical outlets.

You may need to consider an ice cube style. Put it in a 4" x 4" box.

Something like this?

IDEC - RH1B-UAC120V - POWER RELAY, SPDT, 120VAC, 10A, PLUG IN

just a thought.

The OP *COULD* try his hand at a "transformerless power supply". They are simple, small, and he/she won't have to buy a new relay. However...

THEY ARE QUITE DANGEROUS IF YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING. IF YOU TRY IT AND KILL YOURSELF, OR BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN, OR ANYTHING ELSE BAD HAPPENS, IT'S NOT MY FAULT. YOU CAN'T SUE ME FOR TELLING YOU.

Edit: Transformerless power supply's are also wasteful and can't power very big loads. Better options are available, this one is just simple.

Last edited:
The OP *COULD* try his hand at a "transformerless power supply". They are simple, small, and he/she won't have to buy a new relay. However...

THEY ARE QUITE DANGEROUS IF YOU DON'T KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING. IF YOU TRY IT AND KILL YOURSELF, OR BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN, OR ANYTHING ELSE BAD HAPPENS, IT'S NOT MY FAULT. YOU CAN'T SUE ME FOR TELLING YOU.

Edit: Transformerless power supply's are also wasteful and can't power very big loads. Better options are available, this one is just simple.

You're right, precautions must be taken when building stuff. But well, what could happen with your schematic if it's plugged in parralel.. will take its own current and won't burn, right ? ;P
Would not opt for this tho, but thanks it might come handy for another application one day!

Here's what I'm doing:
View attachment 68466
One super bright LED, a 9V battery, a resistor, a switch (used on the 9V side) and a relay. All safely mounted in a switch box.

This is actually the exact thing I was looking for.
The coil side says nominal values are 120V and 5mA, so I won't actually see any rise on my electricity bill..great ! :)

what do you need for contacts? what type of load you are switching?

it is not very common to use 120V to control something that runs from 9VDC, usually it is DC circuit controlling AC loads...
this is very small load, normally you would power it from AC. when power is not present, device does not work. can you elaborate a bit more? what kind of device you are building? what is the application?

Oh, I didn't realised I didn't say what it was for.

I just want to have a super bright LED to turn on automatically in case of a loss of power.
The LED is mounted as on the picture, the switch is to turn it off (if we decide to light candles or something).

So this is why the relay... when losing AC, the relay makes contact so the LED lights the room.

Last edited:
You should run this off a transformer for isolation. You can use a small one and it should be fused.

It's too intrusive, my led lights the whole living room enough to see where you walk and you don't notice it, it's gonna be right next to the other light switches.

But thanks for the suggestion, I might want one one day :)
Oh also, the fun of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back