Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't figure out why my 555 IC isn't working anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

krjhitch

I have a 555 IC set up in astable mode with R1=100KΩ, R2=1MΩ, and C1=1uF on a breadboard powered by a 9V battery.

This gives me roughly 1.4Hz which is fine. I've actually reused this particular breadboard/555IC setup to power rough clock cycles for a few projects, but it suddenly stopped working. I figured I had accidentally pulled a wire or something, but I've rebuilt it 10 times now, replaced the wires, replaced the IC, replaced the capacitor, measured the resistors, and I just can't get it to work properly again.

When I connect power to the circuit the output on pin 3 turns on the resistor/LED combo that I have on pin 3 briefly, but then stays off instead of cycling. When I disconnect and reconnect the power, same symptoms. With the power attached I measure a 9V drop between the two leads of R1. Does that make any sense? R2 has almost no drop.

I'm at a loss. How else can I troubleshoot/measure this to figure out why it's not working?

I can post a photo/schematic if it would help, but it can't get more basic. I'm not using a capacitor on pin 5 but I don't think that matters. Certainly didn't before.

Last edited:
Post the circuit

Here's the schematic

Attachments

• 555timer.jpg
    555timer.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 202
It shouldn't matter if you are using a standard or low-power 555 IC. It has many varieties - LM555, UA555, MC1455, etc..
This circuit should also work with a 556 and a switch-selectable timebase.

Pin 5 CV should not be grounded, either a cap to 0V or left floating.

This was exactly the problem. I'm not sure what happened, I think I must have accidently put a ground symbol on it while doing the schematic, and then remembered that 'you don't need to use pin 5' so I remembered not having a capacitor, but then I forgot that it was supposed to be unconnected.

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back