Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CANopen with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiranpatil

I want to develope a CAN slave which will communicate using CANOpen to the CAN Master.
What are the libraries needed to be developed/available developed by third party for various microcontroller?

Regards,
KGP

Thanks a lot for help.
Wondering if I need to use any RTOS along with these libs and how about writing the CAN driver/getting one from uC vendor.

Thanks a lot for help.
Wondering if I need to use any RTOS along with these libs and how about writing the CAN driver/getting one from uC vendor.

Choose a uC with a hardware CAN. Many PIC and AVR controllers have hardware CAN with free software examples. You do not need an RTOS.

Reactions: 3v0
Hi Kiranpatel,

I'm reasonably familiar with CANopen, and have both written a stack and designed a number of CANopen based devices and products. There's a pretty steep learning curve with CANopen, but a good feature of the protocol is that you can pick-and-choose what parts of it to implement for your application. In my opinion, for many simple applications, you really just need to sort of fake the CANopen protocol to get your device to operate on the network. That said, you will still need to become familiar enough with the protocol to understand its scope and know what parts of it to implement.

If you go ahead with your project, and have any generic questions, post them on here and maybe I or others can help you. I won't be able to help you with the specifics of canopennode though: I had a serious look at it a few years ago before I decided to roll my own.

Frank

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back