Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Candle Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudeler

I drilled the wick out of a candle deep enough to install a 12v flickering light bulb, from Radio Shack, that is powered by a 9v battery. I have it turned on for about 1/2 hr now, but was wondering if there is a chance this would catch fire? It doesn't feel the least bit warm.
Thanks

It sounds like it should be just fine. Running a 9V battery and the little amperage that the bulb requires will be extremely unlikely to cause a fire due to overheating. The only point where I can see a fire occuring is if you have the bulb near flammable gasses or liquids, and by some chance, the leads cross and short, causing a spark. If your wires are insulated, then you should be fine. The bulb itself will act as a fuse. Any type of activity that is outside of normal will blow the bulb, and your circuit will be left virtually harmless.

As with any electric, electronic equipment, the device shouldn't be left untended, unless there are measures to reduce the chance of fire / personal injury (Example, fuses, circuit breakers etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back