Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CAN without transceiver??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushmal

I am using Atmel's AT89C51CC03 CAN controller IC....The CAN network in this case has only two nodes...a receiver and a transmitter....Can i do away with the CAN transceiver and connect the TXD pin of transmitter to the RXD pin of the receiver?:confused:

You need to look at the characteristics of the pins themselves and how far apart the receiver and transmitter are. If it is more than the dimensions of a circuit board then I would use the transceivers.

You must consider each node as BOTH a transmitter and a receiver. Why? Because the receiver needs to transmit the ACK pulse in the ACK slot. Otherwise the transmitter will retransmit the frame FOREVER.

Have you read the CAN spec from Bosch? You really should.

ushmal said:
I am using Atmel's AT89C51CC03 CAN controller IC....The CAN network in this case has only two nodes...a receiver and a transmitter....Can i do away with the CAN transceiver and connect the TXD pin of transmitter to the RXD pin of the receiver?:confused:

To take the advantage of CAN network, it is not recommend getting rid of the CAN transceivers.

controller area network project

I have completed the project on can
and its biggest advantage is its logic levels
i tried to connect the controllers without transrecievers but it didnt worked
you can have a look at my project at
www.jibreal.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back