Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can we get 5v on USB port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydi12345

Hi, I created this new thread since I can't get 5v from 9pins serial port. Is it possible to get 5v that can power RF Transceiver(5v) and Max232(5v)? Thank you.

I believe you can get 5 volts DC at 500-900mA between the outer "pins" on a USB plug. You should probably find out how much current your radio draws, as Bill suggested, and check the output of your USB port. Let us know what you find out, and we will do all that we can to help.
Der Strom

Read your other thread where Eric suggest using internal PC power. I added a post there. I would use the internal 5 volts and fuse it.

You could get 5 volt power from the USB port but I generally suggest against it.

Ron

Last edited:
Okay, I'll then go for an external power source since I think I'll encounter a lot of problems if I'll use power from PC.

Okay, I'll then go for an external power source since I think I'll encounter a lot of problems if I'll use power from PC.

hi Lloyd,
Get a regulated +5V supply say 500mA or so.

Using the PC supply is not a problem, the only draw back is that you have to use that PC [ or a modified PC] to drive your project.

That should be 200ma-500ma. Thats all. Andy

Thanks, Andy. I failed to mention that it depends on the version of USB. The USB 1.0 can supply 200-300mA, the USB 2.0 can supply 300-500mA, and the USB 3.0 can supply 500-900mA. It really depends on your particular USB port.
Hope this helps!
Der Strom

IIRC, you can only get 100mA from a USB 2.0 port. The device needs to "request" up to 500mA of current, or you will get an overcurrent warning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back