Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can this PIC be programmed via USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverWingz

I have a PIC18F4550 quick start kit from the provider "Rhydolabz" in India.
From what i understand,the pic has a bootloader already burned into it.
It also seems the hardware is rigged up right to enable it to communicare via USB.
(i am including a pic of what i think are the relevant connections.correct me if i got it wrong)
My question is,can i program this device via USB?
What i already tried:using a usb to serial converter cable.
the programmer that i was provided with does not detect the prolific COM port that is generated.
I know nothing of the bootloader though,i am somewhat of a beginner in microcontrollers.
View attachment 68790

Thanks in advance

well,i'm using my college's resources,so,modifying the prsesnt bootloader will not be a welcome idea.

any way i can check if the current bootloader is up to usb programming?
what are the steps i'll need to follow?(as i mentioned,i tried a usb to serial converter,but the provided programming software refused to detect the prolific COM port)

Use USB

The most logical thing is trying to use the USB connection from PC to the board.

Why to try using a COM port? Do not bring into play what USB was designed to replace.

that is because i have no idea how to get my pc to detect the device when connected directly.
nothing happens.checked device manager,nothing is being detected...and the programming software the vendor provided me with only detects com ports and programs through them

Could you explain to me how and through which pins the usb programming occurs,please?
i really need to understand what i'm dealing with better...

Last edited:
if what you say is actually so,ian,
how does this sound?:i replace the vendor's pic with a blank pic and burn that one with usb writable firmware?
can could you please point me to some materials i can read up on so i know what exactly goes on during writing of a program or bootloader into the pic?
and how the process varies during write through rs232 and usb?

P.S. :is the hardware rigged up correct?for usb write? are the portions of the ckt.diagram I posted enough for you to tell?

have never tried writing a bootloader before,its new territory for me...even if i do,i'll have to convince the prof to let me mess with it 1st.

Oh,and...the present Bootloader might be write protected...

Last edited:
Try this first plug the thing in the USB press the program button
See if that makes it show up
If that don't work try the com side to you serial port press
Program button one way it will work

The bootloader kicks out and then the program runs it will not show up if it's not in USB mode which I'm sure will not happen till you press the right button

But it will show up after you press the program button if it don't your chips has no bootloader on it.

Last edited:
I bought the PICDEM FS USB DEMO BOARD years ago and it has that chip. It is programmable with the demo software that came with it. You can find info here.
**broken link removed**
If you can't get the full demo download, let me know. Maybe I can send it from the CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back