Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can the target be switched on when doing ICSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

noob question.
Can my PIC target board remain switched on when I put the ICSP cable on to it and start programming it ?

Absolutely. My ICSP cable is always connected to my boards. Its my main source of power. When not the source, I just make sure to use the correct resistors if the programming pins are bing shared. Speaking from PICkit2 experience.

Thanks guys :)
How about the ICD2(inchworm + actually) and the target board bpth being ON at the same time ?

Wont the +5 volt being provided by both parties at the same time be a problem ?

I frequently power a board from 2 supplies at the same time and have no problem. In fact, if your board draws more than 100mA it is a must that you have additional power.

Mike.

The Inchworm has a switch for target power, leave it on and it can be powered from the target (that's why the 7805 has a clamp diode :)

Thanks. So I need not bother ensuring something is swithced off before I switch something else on :) that makes things a lot more convenient.

I built inchworm on a veroboard without the BS250.
Anyways I just want to power both inchworm and target separately and leave them on independently. Reading the posts, I understand thats alright to do. So I am all set :)

I dont want to power inchworm from the target becasue that way I can switch the target on/off without switching the inchworm on/off everytime requiring me to press that blue icon on MPLAB to reconnect each time.

I dont want to power the target from the inchworm because the target is a robot and the load might be too much for the inchworm to bear.

Then it'll work fine, just make sure you added the diode that goes across the 7805 as the regulator does not like having its output higher than its input.

You mean D1 in the inchworm+ schematic ? I dont have that installed presently. Will do that. Can I use 1N4001 instead ? not sure if I will be able to find 1N5817.

BTW Bill, (off topic) Is there a place where you showcase snaps of homemade versions of your designs (inchworm, unicorn etc). Just like the SuperProbe guys does(http://mondo-technology.com/). It inspires the beast out of hobyists like us.

Why don't you leave the Vdd pin on the target ICSP connector floating? The ICD2 and the target would have separate supplies.
If you select 'Power target circuit from ICD2", you allow the ICD2 to pass the self-test, but it won't be powering the target, of course.

Last edited:
pkshima said:
.......... Can I use 1N4001 instead ? not sure if I will be able to find 1N5817.

Being at New Delhi, It will not be a problem to get few 1N5819 or 5822. Contact me in case of problem still

Thanks all for the guidance.

mvs sarma said:
Being at New Delhi, It will not be a problem to get few 1N5819 or 5822. Contact me in case of problem still

Ok I will look out for the diodes then. Since you bring it up..., any clues where I can buys some PIC18Fs from in new delhi ? I got some as samples from microchip but I find it kind of 'free lunch' and would like to be able to walk into a shop and buy some in real-time :)

pkshima said:
Thanks all for the guidance.

Ok I will look out for the diodes then. Since you bring it up..., any clues where I can buys some PIC18Fs from in new delhi ? I got some as samples from microchip but I find it kind of 'free lunch' and would like to be able to walk into a shop and buy some in real-time :)

Contact Silicon components Pvt ltd (www.siliconcomponents.net)
At New Delhi 011-4304 1560 / 93505 12469

or contact Mr.Ravi at Mumbai phone number ext:25
the components are relatively cheap with them. They also extend support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back