Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can something be defined using different set of variables by different species?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

I would like to say that I'm having difficult time in framing my question therefore you would need to see beyond my words.

Can something be defined using different set of variables by different species to the same effect?

Humans try to define or mathematize things in terms of variables which make understanding to them. For instance, torque is defined in terms of force and distance from pivot point because both variables make sense to humans. But perhaps some alien species uses some other variables to define torque but they still come to same conclusion as humans. Usually the same destination can be reached through different pathways by different persons. Do you get me? Please help me if you do. Thank you.

Regards
PG

Hi,

Well, what significance does the definition of torque by some as yet unknown alien species have to us here on Earth. So far, none mostly because we dont know any alien species yet.

Hi,

Well, what significance does the definition of torque by some as yet unknown alien species have to us here on Earth. So far, none mostly because we dont know any alien species yet.

Well, MrAl, we will find aliens soon! :) I will let you know when I see one then you can also see it!

Best wishes
PG

PG1995,

Well, MrAl, we will find aliens soon!

You don't know that. You would do well to concentrate on learning Earth technology well, and not go off on whimsical flights of fancy that have no relevance to the world of Earth.

Ratch

PG1995,

You don't know that. You would do well to concentrate on learning Earth technology well, and not go off on whimsical flights of fancy that have no relevance to the world of Earth.

Ratch

Sir, I was only kidding! :) I have no interest in aliens or UFOs. However, you are right that people who have much interest on aliens should focus on their fellow humans and earth.

Regards
PG

I've often wondered the same thing but maybe not in the same way. I wonder if people see the same colors and hear the same sounds, etc. For example while you are growing up, you are taught that a certain color corresponds to blue and another corresponds to yellow, and so forth. Growing up, there are never any discrepancies. If you and I were asked to identify the color of the same object, we would both identify that object as being blue, or being yellow. BUT, are we really seeing the same color? we have the same word, but do we have the same image in our brain? if I traded eyes with you, would I start identifying blue as purple?

I've often wondered the same thing but maybe not in the same way. I wonder if people see the same colors and hear the same sounds, etc. For example while you are growing up, you are taught that a certain color corresponds to blue and another corresponds to yellow, and so forth. Growing up, there are never any discrepancies. If you and I were asked to identify the color of the same object, we would both identify that object as being blue, or being yellow. BUT, are we really seeing the same color? we have the same word, but do we have the same image in our brain? if I traded eyes with you, would I start identifying blue as purple?

Hi Strantor: That was a very useful post. Seems like metaphysical content. Thank you.

Regards
PG

Hi,

Im pretty sure that it's been proven that people conceptualize things in the real world differently, or at least in part. People think of things they see in the real world differently, again at least in part. This allows some people to do two different things simultaneously while others cant, yet the ones that cant can do other things simultaneously while yet others cant.
So it's pretty clear that not everyone realizes the world the same way.

Last edited:
Hi again PG,

To answer your question a little more directly, we dont have all the answers yet, and it may just turn out that nature has many ways of expressing itself where one single particular Theory Of Everything isnt the only way to explain things. Nature may be more diverse than we currently know such that we can reason with it in more than one way. So far however, we dont even have a full description of it even in a single way.

Well, the specie Canis lupus familiaris ( domestic dog ) would define torque the same way as the specie Homo sapien. But the dog has a different reason to think about it. For example, I give my dog a bone. First, he tests the bone's hardness by biting down on it. If it proves to be to hard to bite through, he shifts it back to the rear of his mouth and clamps down chews vigorisly until he cracks it. See, he's minimizing the distance from the pivot ( his jaw ) to increase his biting force.

Last edited:
Hi again PG,

To answer your question a little more directly, we dont have all the answers yet, and it may just turn out that nature has many ways of expressing itself where one single particular Theory Of Everything isnt the only way to explain things. Nature may be more diverse than we currently know such that we can reason with it in more than one way. So far however, we dont even have a full description of it even in a single way.

Thank you, MrAl, for letting me know this. It proves to me that my query wasn't stupid one though when I had posted it I thought it was!

Best wishes
PG

As no two people have identical brains or distributions of neurons it's almost certain that we all perceive the same stimulus in different ways and will define our experiences in different ways, i.e.using different sets of variables or different values of those variables.

Thank you, MrAl, for letting me know this. It proves to me that my query wasn't stupid one though when I had posted it I thought it was!

Best wishes
PG

Hi PG,

Oh you're welcome. You also might want to think about the multiverse, where another universe could have different physical principles than our own. We'd have to rethink everything even if it were possible for *us* (not even aliens) to exist there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back