Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone tell me what this is?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

austintg1991

Can someone tell me what this is? It's the small white cylindrical thing, It says AC120 and 10 amp. The other text appears to say LF?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 5.50.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 5.50.09 PM.png
    457.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 5.50.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 5.50.27 PM.png
    353.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 5.50.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-15 at 5.50.39 PM.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 167
Hi austin. Welcome to ETO!

It looks to me, considering the labels, that it's a 120 volt AC, 10 amp fuse, but that's just a guess at this point. What kind of circuit is it in? And where in the circuit?

Good luck!
Regards,
Der Strom

Hi Der,
I can't tell you what the circuit because I don't know...
What I do know is theres a couple resistors, some varistors and a few large capacitors..

Hi Der,
I can't tell you what the circuit because I don't know...
What I do know is theres a couple resistors, some varistors and a few large capacitors..

I'd really like to know where i can find one..

Well I'm afraid I can't help you much without more information. I still think it's a fuse of some sort. Maybe somebody else here has more experience with that sort of thing and could tell you for sure.

Der Strom

I have something like these. Some have white ceramic in the middle and some have clear glass. They start at 90V and run up to 250V. What I have is something like a varistor.

Attachments

• Lightningarrestor.jpg
    Lightningarrestor.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 156
Alright thanks for the feedback guys. After extensive research I have finally discovered what it is. Gas Discharge Tube Arrestor (GDT) used for circuit protection. And the "LF" is the "littelfuse" brad who makes it. Its taken me about a month to figure it out but now you guys know too thanks!

I have seen them used on receiver RF front ends for RF overload protection. They become a short when large potential is present.

Last edited:
What exactly are they used for and are they similar to a simple glass fuse or no?

Not a fuse. If you look at my last post (picture), you can see what is inside the parts. There are two plats and gas in between. If the voltage is too big it arks across. (lightning) Yes you can see the glow.
They are used for over voltage protection.

Its a gas filled spark gap to short out high voltages.
Thay are used many for lightning protection.

Last edited:
What exactly are they used for and are they similar to a simple glass fuse or no?

no they are not a fuse that are a gaseous arrestor you have 2 electrodes separated by a hollow creamic tube that is filled with gas.
Basically.... when the voltage across the electrodes reaches the set striking voltage it will discharge through the gas.
These are commonly connected from each leg of a transmission line and ground(earth).
When I worked for a large telecommunications company I used literally 1000's of these for telephone line protection

Dave

Last edited:
In short, I suppose it could be said that this device is used as over-voltage protection, whereas a standard fuse mainly protects against over-current?

This device is new to me, so I'm enjoying learning about it :D

Regards

I've seen them used on burgular alarm panels, on the telephone line input section. During a lightning storm you can see them glow . The intensity is proportional to the proximity of the lightning strike.
I'm talking about the clear glass ones, not the white ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back