Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone tell me what this electronic part is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

norwood451

I father-in-law passed away, and I am helping out my wife with his stuff. I have never seen something like the attached. I think it is some kind of a rheostat, but I do not understand how it works. I know someone out there will know exactly want it is, or I assume so anyway.

What the heck is it?

See photo

Attachments

• wierd-switch.jpg
    wierd-switch.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 2-wierd-switch.jpg
    2-wierd-switch.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 150
Looks like the centrifugal switch on my dryers motor had a baby with a relay.
Hopefully someone comes along that can clue us all in.

Last edited:
Looks like a 2 direction solenoid type of switch. It has 2 coils (3 wires) then several contacts (DPDT?). One set of extra contacts seem to be a "confirmation" that the relay has operated in a certain direction.
It also has a spring, so that switch may be latching as well...

I have not seen one like that before, but looking at the mechanism I think it is a mechanically latched relay.

JimB

I think that it was made for using with a HO train. Does not make sense. Also, is there a way to test it to see if it works. If so, what would be the best way to do that?

I think that it was made for using with a HO train. Does not make sense. Also, is there a way to test it to see if it works. If so, what would be the best way to do that?
Then it could be the electromechanical actuator for a track switch. If so, then there would need to be a lever or shaft of some sort to actually move the track switch points when this device changes state.

Read what that thing says on the label. I can make out what appears to be "Switch Machine", which is a common term for model railroading. Brand seems to be "NJ???." (something like that).

EDIT: Seems to be a NJ International 6000 NJI Twin Coil Switch Machine

Some help on an O gauge forum:

Last edited:
Read what that thing says on the label. I can make out what appears to be "Switch Machine", which is a common term for model railroading. Brand seems to be "NJ???." (something like that).

EDIT: Seems to be a NJ International 6000 NJI Twin Coil Switch Machine

Some help on an O gauge forum:
Thanx. That is exactly want it is. Do you know if there is a way to test it?

Thanx. That is exactly want it is. Do you know if there is a way to test it?
I would guess that the middle wire on the top is the common. It has a red wire in your photo. Those look like connections to the coils.

I suggest that you measure the resistance between that and the nearest wires. If they are in the range 100 - 1000 Ohms, and similar, then connect one end of a 12 V supply to the red wire, and briefly connect the other end of the 12 V supply to one of the nearest wires, and then the other.

I would expect the machine to operate in one direction for one wire, and the other direction for the other wire. It may latch, or it may move back to the centre when the power is removed.

Don't leave power connected permanently without checking how hot it is getting. The coil could be only rated for short periods of energisation and will burn out if left powered.

The switch(es) at the end could be to switch in a resistor to reduce the current so it holds in position without overheating.

Mike.

At first I thought it was partof some telephone equipment, as the contacts look similar to telephone gear.
However I think it could also be a memory relay for a boiler or furnace.

Based on my second link to that blog, they say they were originally designed for AC voltages, around 12V to 18V. Some say you can also pulse it with DC 12V. This is momentary only, the switch latches in position and stays there until the other coil is energized to move it back to the other latched position. You cannot leave the power on the coil all the time, it will likely overheat. All the other wires (6 of them) were used to turn on indicators or help switch track voltages on/off (based on position of switch turnout).
Not sure about the two front wires in the picture. They seem extra on some switches. It may be to create a temporary contact that disconnects the coil voltage when it is switched. That is, it is in series with the coil voltages, but on the opposite "pole". WHen a button is pressed, power goes thru the front switch to the coil. As the coil starts to "snap" to the other position, the contact breaks and moves to the other coil wire, ready for switching the other direction. This is a theory of mine, not a fact, but plausible.
Or that front switch is a more heavy duty switch and is designed to switch the rail power (the back contacts seem a bit small to switch O gauge rail power, which can be high). Back contacts are then only for switching signalling/indicators.
Image of datasheet shows top "switch" contacts connected to rails:
1586529415584.jpeg

Based on my second link to that blog, they say they were originally designed for AC voltages, around 12V to 18V. Some say you can also pulse it with DC 12V. This is momentary only, the switch latches in position and stays there until the other coil is energized to move it back to the other latched position. You cannot leave the power on the coil all the time, it will likely overheat. All the other wires (6 of them) were used to turn on indicators or help switch track voltages on/off (based on position of switch turnout).
Not sure about the two front wires in the picture. They seem extra on some switches. It may be to create a temporary contact that disconnects the coil voltage when it is switched. That is, it is in series with the coil voltages, but on the opposite "pole". WHen a button is pressed, power goes thru the front switch to the coil. As the coil starts to "snap" to the other position, the contact breaks and moves to the other coil wire, ready for switching the other direction. This is a theory of mine, not a fact, but plausible.
Or that front switch is a more heavy duty switch and is designed to switch the rail power (the back contacts seem a bit small to switch O gauge rail power, which can be high). Back contacts are then only for switching signalling/indicators.
Image of datasheet shows top "switch" contacts connected to rails:
View attachment 124218
Wow, the information and the instructions has really helped me understand what the heck it is.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back