Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone please tell me what this part is on my Laptop motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themastr

Hey guys

I can't seem to find this part on my motherboard. I'm not even sure what it is. Can someone please let me know and tell me where i can order this piece if possibly?

I think it's a resistor but where can I get one this type?

Attachments

• DSCN3908.JPG
    DSCN3908.JPG
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCN3909.JPG
    DSCN3909.JPG
    960.5 KB · Views: 357
It's an inductor, probably 2.2µH.

As long as the copper coil part is OK, you could glue the broken bits back on if you can find them.
You could buy a new one here:
Digikey.

thank you so much. One more question. I got to digikey but was being asked so many questions. ex. Series Manufacturer Current Type Tolerance Shielding DC Resistance (DCR) Q @ Freq Self Resonant Freq Package / Case Mounting Type.

All I know is that its a 2R2 16 that's all on the chip. do i need to know the rest of the stuff?

thanks
erick

Check the box "In stock"
Under Inductance click 2.2uH. Then click "Appy Filters"
Mounting Type: Surface mount. Then click "Appy Filters"

Now it gets more difficult. You need to accurately measure it's size so we can select one that will physically fit. After that we'll need to choose one with the highest current rating in that size range. Probably quite a few will work. We are really guessing here, so it is important to know where the coil is in the circuit. Are there any other ICs next to the broken one? If so, what is the number on it? ICs are parts with many (8 or more) legs. Maybe you could post another PIC zoomed out a bit by about 4x to what you posted.

Thank you for the help !!! Here are some more photos of the motherboard. Can you tell me which IC I will need to read?

In the first photo the Inductor was located on the top left side ( I removed it) there is an identical one right beside it. on the second photo you can see the identical one in the center and the pad mounts on the left hand side where the broken on was.

Thanks
Erick

Attachments

• DSCN3932.JPG
    DSCN3932.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 330
  • DSCN3924.JPG
    DSCN3924.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
Last edited:
That'll probably work. I would order this identical one instead since there is no reeling fee.
There doesn't appear to be an IC close enough to be associated with it unless it is on the other side of the PCB. Looks like it may just be a filter choke and not the main inductor in a switcher. Before you go through the effort and expense of ordering it, make sure that nothing else was damaged. This includes the PCB itself. Look closely for small cracks in parts and the PCB around the impact point.

I will place an order and will let you know if everything works out.

Thank you so much for all the help

Erick

Coilcraft will send you free samples of anything on their website. They have a pictorial selection thing which is nice. Here is a good part, but it is taller than 3mm. Might want to double check it will still fit if you get one.

https://coilcraft.com/mss1048.cfm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back