Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone please clear something about power supplies plzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrymons

I'm busy building a power supply that converts 220v to 12v dc. i use: 200va power supply that converts the 220v to 12v ac unregelated now i want to convert it to 12v dc so i use a 36 amp rectifyer for the dc part. Now can anyone plz tell me how i can and what parts to use to make it a 12v dc regulated power supply? and can i use this system for charging a 12v car battery when it is finished? thnx for the help guys

Firstly be extremely careful with the mains electricity, especially if you are unsure of what your doing.

After the bridge you need a large suitable rated electrolytic capacitor to smooth the supply. However, once your 12vac is rectified and smoothed you will have the peak voltage at the output. This is 12v x the square root of 2. To lower this to 12v you can use a voltage regulator, but I would think a car battery will take a lot of current.

yes

I have tried a smoothing cap a 2200uf 16v then when i put the meter on it gives me 14.something volts when i connect a 50w light it brings down the to 9 volts

Your transformer is too small. To supply 36 amps at 12 volts, you should have a 500 VA transformer at least. It will be heavy. It is not necesary to filter the DC for battery charging.

Select a suitable current rating for transformer.
THen after the transformer use a Bridge( appropriate current rating).
After this bridge u can put the filter capacitor.
THen u can use a regulator. While using a regulator, make sure it is capable of sourcing the required current.

U can divide ur project into sections. and provide each section with a different regulator. Do not forget to put Heat-sink to the regulator.

but

I dont want to use it just for battery charging the whole idea is for camping. all my light are 12v dc and then i want to connect them to the transformer without any problems aswell to the 12 v side if i dont have 220v availible i can hook it straight onto my battery..
thanx for the help guys

The lights don't need filtering either, plus the battery will provide smooth DC if you want to run a radio, so all you need is the rectifier and perhaps a current limiting resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back