Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone identify this brand/type of extension cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmberkeley

Can someone tell me the name of this extension cord and where I can get one like it?

I am looking for a lightweight (3 oz or less) extension cord that is 3 feet long. I found this picture and it looks like the item labeled #25 would work best with what I need it for:
https://bevhoward.com/OptAcc2.jpg

can anyone identify that product or name something similar to it?

Specifically, I would like a 3 ft. cable that is very light/flexible and can be coiled up into tight spaces and is non-polarized, and ideally has 2 prongs. However, the most important aspect should be the weight/size/mass/etc

Thanks in advance!

It's just a USB Extension Cable available just about anywhere. Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, Target and a host of other retailers. Problem is since we have no clue as to your location it is hard to suggest a retailer. What you want is just a USB extension cable, that is the common name.

<EDIT> Bad Call on my part, see Jim's post below. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
I have to disagree with you there Ron.

To me it looks like a USA mains cable built to Indian standards!

JimB

I have to disagree with you there Ron.

To me it looks like a USA mains cable built to Indian standards!

JimB

After a second and much closer look I have to agree with your disagreement there Jim. :) Especially after also seeing this:

Specifically, I would like a 3 ft. cable that is very light/flexible and can be coiled up into tight spaces and is non-polarized, and ideally has 2 prongs. However, the most important aspect should be the weight/size/mass/etc

I should have caught that! Bad Ron!

Ron

I have to agree with your disagreement there Jim
What an interesting turn of phrase!
I like that.

JimB

You can make it yourself. Just go to a local electrical supply place and get a chunk of 16 gauge zip cord and the requisite ends. Or, since zip cord extension cords are dirt-cheap (a small one is usually a couple of dollars in the US), just find one with the female end you want, cut it off, and put on a 2 prong male plug (they make ones that are simple to put on with no tools). If it's polarized and you want it unpolarized, just file off the extra metal on the neutral prong. Make sure you know what you're doing though -- the polarization is there to protect you.

A decent photo of the cable and showing both ends clearly would have been a big help and have saved some confusion.

You can make it yourself. Just go to a local electrical supply place and get a chunk of 16 gauge zip cord and the requisite ends. Or, since zip cord extension cords are dirt-cheap (a small one is usually a couple of dollars in the US), just find one with the female end you want, cut it off, and put on a 2 prong male plug (they make ones that are simple to put on with no tools). If it's polarized and you want it unpolarized, just file off the extra metal on the neutral prong. Make sure you know what you're doing though -- the polarization is there to protect you.

Agree with the DIY approach. Disagree about 16 gauge. Seems like that would be much to heavy and stiff for the O.P.'s requirements that it be light, flexible and easily coiled up. I'd say 18 gauge might work; might need to find something even smaller than this. (18 is available at most hardware stores.) I'm ASS-U-Ming that this is for a very low-powered device, so current capacity isn't an issue.

Reminds me of my El Cheapo dollar-store soldering irons, which have a super-limp power cord which seems to be somewhere in the 24 gauge neighborhood. Very flexible. Don't know where you can get the stuff, though.

Everyone so far posting is shooting in the dark without the OP's current requirements. Wire flexibility is not a function of it's absolute size, it's a function of the number of strands vs it's size. Without a known current requirement there is no way to answer that question fully.

The barrel jumper wires at the plating shop I worked for used half an inch thick wire, and quiet flexible because they were multi stranded. Carried 500-800 amps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back