Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can PIC16F84 replaced by PIC16F877A with the same configurations in PIC16F84??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunei

Can PIC16F84 replaced by PIC16F877A with the same configurations in PIC16F84??

The difference is 84 has less pins than the 877A...
84 has Flash EEPROM and 877A has Flash as well..

so can the 84 replaced by 877A?

What do you mean by configurations?

Like you said, the 16F84 has less pins than the 16F877A, so it's not a match in physical size, i.e. not a drop-in replacement part. The most direct, current production replacement part for the 16F84 is the 16F88 (identical pin-count and a few more features).

The 16F877A is a more powerful chip than the 16F84, so anything you might have done with the 16F84 you could do instead with the 16F877A.

I mean like in terms of the connection??? as the 877A has more pins then can I juz replace it with the same port connection as the f84?

chunei said:
I mean like in terms of the connection??? as the 877A has more pins then can I juz replace it with the same port connection as the f84?
hi,
Are you asking if you can use the same program and CONFIG WORD thats written for the F84 in a F877A?

I think he's asking if he can, for instance, interchange the PORTB.3 pin on the 16F84 with whatever the PORTB.3 pin might be on the 16F877A? I'm guessing yes if he's only interested in TTL I/O. As long as the same port pin on both PICs has the same function (which more often than not, they do) then there shouldn't be a problem. Check the datasheets for both PICs and make sure the pin functions of the 16F84 match up with the equivalent port pins on the 16F877A. I'm guessing it will be close if not the same, with the exception of there being more function options (like CCP) for some pins on the 16F877A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back