Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can not make out capacitor type

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcroker

Hi All

New here, have been repairing lcd tv's for a couple of months as a hobby, my brothers Beko got hit with a surge and keeps blowing the t3 fuse board num xla194-03, the only thing i have found wrong are two capacitors that are not showing anything on the multimeter, problem is i can not make out what type they are. Any help identifying them would be much appreciate. Thank you in advance

Leo

Attachments

• CAP1.jpg
    CAP1.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 510
  • Cap2.jpg
    Cap2.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 454
The one on the left has a 1K on it so I would guess a 1,000 pf ceramic cap.
**broken link removed**

The one on the right is a 2200pF ceramic cap.
**broken link removed**

Hi All

.... got hit with a surge and keeps blowing the t3 fuse ..... the only thing i have found wrong are two capacitors that are not showing anything on the multimeter, problem is i can not make out what type they are....Leo

Leo.

What tests were done using the multimeter and what were the results?

Where are the 'capacitors' placed on the PCB? Good quality PCB pics help a lot around here. ;-)

If they are on the mains power side, they may be MOV's and not capacitors...

Someone else, more familiar with MOV markings and mains-powered devices, may be able to help if you can provide a little more info.

Thank you for the reply, i have attached a picture of the board below :)

This has been wrecking my head forever

Have been testing for resistance using the multimeter

Also it blew the fuse to pieces when i changed the original out

Thanks again

Attachments

• 100_7822.JPG
    100_7822.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 864
Last edited:
Ah, OK, the silkscreen does indicate the locations as being caps, where RMMM offers possible substitutes.

The MOV in the pic, which normally takes the hit from a surge, looks to be vr2001 (the blue disk-like component below the fuse).

IIUC, the MOV should not show a resistance and this is possibly the reason for your fuse blowing.

Again, I hope someone more familiar with the operation and testing of MOV's can clarify.....

Then i will swap it out as well, might as well have to go get new caps anyway :) thank you for your help

The MOV should show INFINITE resistance. If you test it with a continuity test and it says it there is continuity... Thats bad.

They are rated for at least 200ish volts. If the 1 volt from the continuity test shows true, it NEEDS to go.

Hey, on continuity test its coming up @ 1.352, no buzz though on omhs test 0.46, is that bad?

Thanks again for help, want to try have this working for Christmas for him :)

One more q, attached is a pic of the back of the board, the two caps that seem to be broken seem to be connected to the earth in the corner, would that be been the problem? Thanks again

Attachments

• 041220102135.jpg
    041220102135.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 405
The ones labeled ZD are Zener Diodes.

Look in google images to see if they look different that the same style that are new, or known good.

They look fine to me, but I cant see them that good.

When posting, get as close as you can, still in focus.

Outdoor shots with no flash give best results.

Also, when mentioning components, use the designator printed on the board.

I could be wrong and it could be a coincidence but looking at the picture in post #5 at the bottom towards the left the 2 resistors R2012 and R2012A look like they are fried.

Makes me wonder if fried resistors ever short out or just open?

Mike

In my experience the first two type of caps very rarely pop. do you measure any continuity (resistance)? The MOV definetely needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back