Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not know how many of you guys are "into" home improvement stuff.....but I am wondering about installing some ceiling lights that are more attractive than the typical, recessed can, with a simple trim wring around it.....like you see in a Motel 6 hallway.
Is there something I can put in its place.? I am fine with shutting off the appropriate breaker, and installing a new fixture, but I have no idea what my options are.....is there a fixture that does not let you look up into the bulb, that I can put in the place of these 3 cans.?
Thank You
A couple of pictures below to show my dilemma.
FWIW.....House is USA CA, 1985 build, 3 wire grounded power.
While I have your attention...can I install a new smoke detector.? Are they on a normal breaker as well.....just disconnect the wires and install a new, non-yellowed model.?
Thanks Again
https://i.imgur.com/5CRdpzQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IvWxT29.jpg

Either Lowes or Home Depot will be your new best friend. Before I forget as to smoke detectors yes, you can get line powered units that include battery backup as anything line powered is pretty much useless during a blackout. They will mount in a standard 4" box but keep in mind they require power 24/7.

Recessed lighting comes in unlimited flavors these days with LEDs taking their share of the market. It looks like you have standard 4" work boxes so if that is the case you want something that will mount on a 4" box. Since you have the boxes in place you want to be looking at Remodel and not New Construction in the names of fixtures, unless you plan to rip the ceiling out. :(

I suggest you visit the local Lowes or Home Improvement store. tell them what you have and see what will fit in with what you have.

Ron

Thanks Ron.....will go to HD and ask for some advice.
My smokes are the hard-wired type.....just wondering if they are on a "normal" breaker on my panel in the garage.?
I do not have any kind of alarm service at my house, so there should be no problem with me disabling them to install new ones.
I guess what I am (finally) asking is....do the smokes run off of some type of low voltage...maybe there is a transformer and rectifier some place in the house...or is there a rectifier circuit in the smoke detector.?
Just wondering what type to buy.....I suppose Home Depot can advise in that arena also.......:)
Thanks Again

Thanks Ron.....will go to HD and ask for some advice.
My smokes are the hard-wired type.....just wondering if they are on a "normal" breaker on my panel in the garage.?
I do not have any kind of alarm service at my house, so there should be no problem with me disabling them to install new ones.
I guess what I am (finally) asking is....do the smokes run off of some type of low voltage...maybe there is a transformer and rectifier some place in the house...or is there a rectifier circuit in the smoke detector.?
Just wondering what type to buy.....I suppose Home Depot can advise in that arena also.......:)
Thanks Again

You mention a good possibility. All line powered smoke detectors I have worked with here in the US were 120 VAC 60 Hz but that is not to say some could be low voltage with a transformer shoved somewhere. I never saw it done that way but not to say they don't exist. The only way to know would likely be to drop one and check the lines to it. I would just drop one down and check and see what I have.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back